Coupons 101- Part 1

I had a great time this last weekend with my friend Tracey. Us girls went triple coupon sale shopping at two local grocery stores- how fun! I watched as she eagerly approached the checkout counter with her stack of coupons.... the anticipation of saving all that money.

I realized with my dear friend that there is something that I take for granted in all of my deal shopping- knowing how the store's sales and coupons work. Part of the basic strategy in saving money at the grocery store or anywhere else is knowing how a store's sale works.

I was thinking about these details/ strategies that I don't even think about anymore. In an effort to help you with some coupon basics, I decided to compile a list of stores in my small town with how they accept coupons. I truly do live in a small town so if you want to add a store to this list, feel free to leave a comment & I'll update the main post. I hope this helps you.

Walmart: Manufacturer's coupons- accepts all manufacturer's coupons including internet printables; Store coupons- does not issue any store coupons; Miscellaneous- Walmart price matches all competitors including grocery stores if you bring in a current circular. They do not price match BOGO deals.

Target: Manufacturer's coupons- accepts all manufacturer's coupons including internet printables; Store coupons- Target issues their own store coupons via US Mail and some via their website. On any one item, you can use both a store coupon and a manufacturer's coupon; Miscellaneous- No price matches done here.

CVS: Manufacturer's coupons- accepts all manufacturer's coupons including internet printables; Store coupons- CVS issues their own store coupons via US Mail, email, in the store, their website, and at the bottom of your receipt. On any one item, you can use both a store coupon and a manufacturer's coupon; Miscellaneous- Some CVS stores accept competitor's coupons even for perscriptions and others do not.

Walgreens: Manufacturer's coupons- accepts all manufacturer's coupons including internet printables; Store coupons- Walgreens issues their own store coupons in the monthly Easysaver catalog and as in-ad coupons found in the weekly circular. On any one item, you can use both a store coupon and a manufacturer's coupon; Miscellaneous- Walgreens also has a monthly rebate program. Details of these offers can be found in the monthly Easysaver catalog found near the store entrances.

Rite Aid: Manufacturer's coupons- accepts all manufacturer's coupons but not internet printables; Store coupons- Rite Aid issues their own store coupons in the weekly circular. On any one item, you can use both a store coupon and a manufacturer's coupon; Miscellaneous- Rite Aid also has a monthly rebate program called the Single Check Rebate. Details of these offers can be found in the catalog found near the store entrances.

4 comments:

Karen said...

In the Walgreen's paragraph, you referred to them as "CVS".

;-)

The Financial Diva said...

Thanks, good eye!

Sandra said...

Can you help me with organizational tips to couponing? I have been clipping out of the papers and printing off line but struggle when actually shopping. My typical shopping spots are Harris Teeter, CVS, Walmart. What would you suggest?

The Financial Diva said...

Hi Sandra,
Your question has been on my mind lately as I am trying a new coupon organization system myself. Look out for a future post as I work out some thoughts on what has worked and what has not. I'll attempt to tackle this topic.